Jan 10, 2012

Memorial Box Monday : My first Car Accident



I've been driving for about 7-8 years now (I started late :P), and luckily I have never been in a car accident. Something that I actually used to pride myself about. A few months later, glancing at my driver's license, I realizes that it expired. I was shocked: I only got the license a year ago - issued by the state we moved to. How could that be?

I called the DMV, wondering if it was a mistake. No mistake - apparently due to my non-citizenship status at the time, it was issued for only a year. I had to come back to the DMV and get a new one.

I get there, and surprisingly, only within 15 minutes - I was at the window of the DMV lady. I always pray for favor when I am at that place. I have just got my citizenship a little less than a year ago at that time, so I was elated - there should be no issues.

But the lady said - I will need your passport, as your status had changed, and the INS did not update the proper records. But, she added, if you come back today, simply waive to me, and I'll take care of you.

Grateful(as this was during my work day), I drive away, to pick up the passport from home, as a pick up truck backs into me. My hands were shaking, but I thanks God that I had my updated car insurance on me. I asked the driver for the same. He was a pleasant elderly african-american man - very sweet and apologetic. The cops were called, and he admitted that it was his fault.

After appraisals, and some phone calls, his insurance sent me a check. I have not cashed the check to fix the dent - there is no damage to my car, except for the hole in the bumper and punched out grill. So I put it off. And then put off some more. Feeling too lazy to go to a dealership, leave my car, etc, etc. Its been a few months, and that sizable check is still laying on my dressers.

A couple of days ago, I realized that I have an opportunity to go to Uganda for a short-term mission trip. My mind scrambled at the opportunities to raise the money. Then it occured to me - the check that's been laying on my dresser will probably cover the cost of a plane ticket.

What a blessing! My car is fine, no one was hurt, insurance went through quickly. But that check can finance my very first mission trip to Africa.

When the other driver said: "You just never know who you will meet" and I agreed "There is a reason for everything, including fender-benders." He said "Bless you, you are very sweet." as we parted.

Blessed indeed am I.

10 comments:

Kim Foo Young said...

awwwwww - YAY - i am SO psyched for you - and hope we get to see each other there ;)

Trina said...

Thank you so much for your comments on my page. :) I am sure at some point I may get the hang of this blog and figure out just how to go about doing all of this. For now I have just been reading. I don't even know where to begin fundraising, but prayers are always welcome. :)

Also glad you were not hurt in your accident and the money came to you at such a great time to avoid a missed opportunity. God Bless.

♥ robin said...

That is a great story. The Lord provides in more ways than we know! He is so good. Thank you for sharing your story! Can't wait to hear about your Uganda trip! Woo-Hoo!! Blessings! growing4hisglory.blogspot.com

Mom Of Many said...

Thrilled that you are heading to Uganda! You will NEVER be the same again. Promise. And thank you so much for sharing your MBM story! xo

Renee said...

That is a great story !! How neat that God used all things in your accident to turn out for good with your trip to Uganda...Wonderful!!
Renee ~ MBM www.myautumnyears.blogspot.com

Charla said...

That must have been a very shocking experience for you. But it was a relief that a cut on your finger is all the injury you had from the accident. I'm sorry about what happened to your car though. Do you have insurance for that car? I hope you're fine right now.

Charla Mcguyer

Guy said...

I admire your bravery in dealing with the car accident, even though it is your first time. After all, some find it pretty traumatic. Sorry about the car. But it’s a good thing you got your accident claim quickly. Hope it can help you in Uganda. Good luck! :)



@Guy Chambliss

Ethan said...

Wow! You are blessed, and going back home to get your passport has a purpose bro. It was a light accident, so be thankful with that. Actually, if the damage really costs too much, you have the insurance company to cover the damages, and as you’ve said, even without scratches you’ve still got it. I’m happy that you are safe; I hope after the accident, you can now have time to update your DMV.


Ethan Rehman

Cindie Guevara said...

Whew! That was close. Thank goodness you were okay. In our everyday lives, accidents are a constant risk. That is why we should always practice safe driving while on the road. While cannot do anything to prevent other drivers from acting irresponsibly on the road, we can practice defensive driving. An in case we do get into accidents where we are the victims, the best thing to do is hire a personal injury lawyer to help acquire the proper compensation.

Cindie Guevara

Maggie Malone said...

A blessing in disguise indeed, Catalina! Luckily, your car didn’t get totaled, and you didn’t get badly hurt. The plus side to it is that you got to use the money from the insurance company of the other party for your plane ticket on your way to your dream destination. Lucky, lucky you! You could have used a check-up, though.

Maggie Malone

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...