Apr 28, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Thankful. I have so much to be thankful for. Today, I would like to thank the Lord for my dad. He is not really my dad, but my husband’s dad, but he is the only real dad I’ve known.

My biological father left us when I was about 5. I have never asked about him at all. My mom tells me that he was a heavy drinker, so I am thankful that she made a decision to divorce him. I met him later, when I was about 11, but I don’t really remember the meeting. Like the previous 5 years, that time with him was quite unmemorable. I found him even later, when I was in my 20s, but even then – he rejected me. I’ve had no cards, no letters, no phone calls from my biological father since he left.

I’ve had two step fathers, both of whom abused me. After my second step father, I vowed to never call another man “father” again.

But then my husband’s dad came into my life. A reserved man, with a keen sense of humor, and knowledge just about anything in the world. He is not the kind who would do the hugging and kissing and telling “I love you!” kind. And that’s a good thing, as I am not comfortable with that. But he is the kind of a man who had a real hard life, yet all his life he has been about giving to other people. If it was not for him, we would not have our house, or things working in it. Me and my husband don’t know which end of a hammer to use. Well, I do, but you know..out of solidarity with hubby, I won’t be changing lightbulbs. :P

After a while I started calling him dad. Not because he gave me presents (although he did), but because he was there for us. Not with words, but when we needed him most – he was ready to drop everything and be there for us. Sometimes I forget that he is not really my dad, and people look at me strange when I saw “my and my husband’s dad”, but I really feel like I “adopted” him as my own. Or maybe he did me.

So, I might have not known what its like to have a father growing up, but I sure do now. And I am thankful that I have my earthly dad.

Please visit From the Heart for more thankful stories!

2 comments:

scooping it up said...

this was beautiful. thank you for sharing.

Rhiannon said...

what a very touching story, thank you so much for sharing. My father is an alcoholic and it was very hard growing up and even worse as an adult. We still struggle every day. I'm so glad you have a father figure in your life. Thank you so much for linking up!! God Bless you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...