Mar 7, 2011

What you should and should NOT tell your psychiatrist.

For reasons not important to this anecdote, I decided to see a psychologist. I have never been to a real psychologist before.I have googled far and wide on what I should expect when I see him/her. Naturally, my expectations were full of what the movies and TV portrayed the psychologists do. I am sure that I am not the only one in this. I also googled on what to say and what not to say to one. Unfortunately, there was no convenient list of DO’s and DON’Ts for this out there, at least that I could find.

Being a Christian – how much of your faith should or can you reveal to your doctor. If he not a Christian or follows any religion at all – should you even bring this up?
When I got to the office, I was so frazzled (I got lost on the way there), that I put the wrong date on ALL of the documents they had me fill out. I was only a day ahead, but the doctor (an older, very strict-looking gentleman) looked at me with THAT look that psychologists I KNOW have and asked me “Where are you getting this date from?”

It took every ounce of self-control not to tell him that my time machine’s calendar must be out of synch. When he asked me whether I have ever experienced hallucinations or heard voices, I stumbled and asked him to clarify. Like what do you mean, doctor, like voices- voices, or like OMG VOICES? He, narrowing his eyes, wrote something down in is pad.

I stumbled on the “Do you think you are being pursued by someone out there, or someone is out to get you?” What do I say?!

I know if you don’t tell your doctor the truth, then you are not going to allow them to help you. But how far does one go? Think about it, as a Christian (if you are, for example), or a person following another religion – how many things we say and do and experience during out normal day that can be classified as basically insane? And we consider them quite normal.

I’m torn and a little scared. Can one be put in a metal institution without their consent in our days? =)

2 comments:

Deb said...

This is so funny!! Do I hear voices? Yes, I hear God's still small voice...does that make me insane? Well...if it does...I kinda like being nutty!!! ;-)

Catalina said...

Heh, exactly! How much do you say on the first session. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...