Jan 10, 2011

Snow day!


The flurries started last night, in our Southern Peach state, forming into full-blown snow-fall through the night. I peeked outside last night - it was so light, due to the snow covering the ground, that it look like dusk.
Woke up this morning to the half-buried vehicle, and a backyard full of snow for little one to run around. After sticking my head outside, I inched back into the house where I remained for the rest of the day.

I don't tolerate the cold well. People, who know that I grew up in Siberia, always laugh with the "ooh, but I thought you grew up Siberia, and you can't handle this cold?" I usually tell them that if I liked it in the Siberia, I would be living there now, wouldn't I?

People always ask me how cold it was in Siberia. Very cold, of course. The ground of the area where we lived in is called the permafrost. Since the ground is so cold, the utility lines and water pipes must be put above ground - back then, a lot of them in my part of town they were encased in the wooden troughs than were insulated with the fiberglass. Those "terraces" were the main walkways we as kids used to get around town, since they were slightly warmer, thus accumulated less snow.

How cold exactly did it get? Being bundled head to toe in clothing, half of which was made out of the reindeer hide does not really give you a good idea of the temperature. Unless you take the scarf off your face. It was cold enough that it hurt to breath, in fact, you always left your scarf on your face.In fact, your eyelashes can frees as well. Your face, nose, mouse, basically everything that you can cover - must be covered. Coming home from the outside, especially after standing in line or playing in the snow - was a painful experience. The painful tingling, as the blood was finally flowing in your limbs - it hurt so bad at times that I wanted to cry.

The coldest that I remember it getting was - 55 degrees Celsius. That's -67 F and that's not even a record in around those parts. I think the record low temperatures were recorded at -90s. So, yeah. Siberia was very cold, for much longer. But in my defense, as a kid who never lived in the tropical paradise, it was something that I expected. It was something that we waited to pass, that's all. I would put on my dress, my wool stockings, my wool socks, sweater, wool scarf, my deer-skin coat, deer-coat boots, heavy woolen mitts, fluffy rabbit fur hat and I was ready to go!

Yeah, dressing a small child in the winter was a pain in the butt. But it's a gorgeous place on Earth, even in the dead cold of winter, the beauty is hard to describe.


This photographer has some nice pictures, by the way. I recommend visiting.

14 comments:

Susi said...

Wow, you lived in Siberia?? They say they had -60 degrees C recently. Fascinating!! And my Italian friends are asking me how we manage to survive -20!! :) I found your blog at FTLOB.

Kimberly said...

It is very very beautiful! (but I'd only want to take pictures then come home to my warm house)

(visiting from Magic Monday hop)

Lori said...

Came to see you from the MIxed Bag Blog hop! Come see me www.adayinmotherhood.com

Our Village is a Little Different said...

It's funny ow something so beautiful can make me feel so awful! The snow does look pretty.. but I don't care for the cold either. I would have a VERY hard time in siberia! I'm glad you found a warmer place. GA is so nice. I found your blog with the Mommy Monday blog hop, and now I follow.

Sherri said...

I love that beautiful snowy picture!! I also know cold, unfortunately!! I have never felt -55 before but close! Hope stay warm & cozy! On the monday hop @FTLOB!!
mamasherri@blogspot.com

Kelly~ Wave of Life Surf Studio said...

Gorgeous pic! Hi~ I am your newest follower fro the blog hop & would love it if you stopped by and returned the love :)

http://waveoflifesurfstudio.blogspot.com/

Small Footprints said...

Hi! I found you through Frugal Invitation's Wednesday Blog Hop! :)

This morning I woke up to 18 degree f. and snow ... and I thought how cold it is. Then I read this post and thought ... wow, -90 degrees? That makes 18 look like a heat wave.

I look forward to reading more of your posts! Stay warm ...

Gen said...

Just like what we have few days ago. A new follower from Welcome Wednesday. See you in my page.

You can visit here

tawna6988 said...

Stopping by from today’s blog hop and am your newest follower. I hope that 1 of my blogs interests you too.

http://tawnasplan.blogspot.com
http://btrbb.blogspot.com
http://tawnassecret.blogspot.com

Thanks
Tawna

Carmie of the Single Nester said...

Just finished shoveling. I love the snow - just not all that cleaning of it. I cannot believe 67 below. That is nuts!

BabyDealsDujour said...

Love a snow day!

Now following from http://BabyDealsDujour.com/blog
We list all of the daily baby deals in real-time. Would love for you to follow back!

Heather said...

wow!! That sounds very cold. Can't even imagine Siberia.

I am following from the Hump Day Hop.

Heather From and Mommy Only Has Two Hands! and Lynhea Designs

Skye said...

http://www.realmomreviews.net
Following your blog! Please follow back!
If you could follow me on Facebook/Twitter, that would be awesome too!!
http://www.facebook.com/RealMomReviews
http://www.twitter.com/RealMomReview
Thanks for your time!
Skye

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

Wow I want snow :).

<3, New Follower

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...