Dec 22, 2010
Stressed out over the stockings.
Ok, I have to admit that I am totally stressed out of the whole stockings thing. I mentioned that I wanted to have a year of "firsts" this year, and we have decided to do the whole Christmas Stockings.
A confusing tradition, I did not know the story behind it, neither did my husband. But I am now quickly realizing how stressful the whole stocking thing can be:
1. What's a good gift for the sock (from now I shall refer to it as a sock, as I like that word)? I was confused about the content of the sock, and had to get guidance from a number of people.
2. What is an appropriate amount of items int he sock? Does it have to be filled to the brim? Should things be sticking out of it like in the pictures? what if the gifts are too short and don't want to stick out, do you need to find something long to stick out?
3. Yes, my mind really does go through this agonizing lunacy.
4. How to make sure that everyone has equal amounts o stuff in the sock? The items will be different, so how to prevent someone's sock looking empty, just because you got them items of a different width/length.
5. When are you supposed to open the sock? Before or after the main presents.
6. Does everyone get to watch or is it a private thing?
7. If you don't have a fireplace or a chimney - can you hang socks anywhere?
So, these and many other details I have been going over with these silly things, to the point of me not wanting to do the sock thing again. To be honest, I am so stressed over it, that I have started buying myself sock stuffers. Why? I'm afraid that everyone forgot sock stuffers for me, and when it comes to the time of opening them, mine will be empty, and everyone will feel sorry for me and bad that I didn't get anything in my sock. So I'm secretly stashing stuff to put in my sock. Problem is - there isn't that many of us, and everyone bound to figure out who bought what.
Ok, I know that sounds like lunacy, but I really want to do this Christmas right. This is a very confusing custom. There should be like a step-by-step instructions.
From Google, regarding the stocking: "The gift given by Santa Claus would be something to eat, a thing that makes a sound and gives a pleasant view to the eyes or gift which has a lovely fragrance." My stocking has one gift so far - a stick of salami. I guess it conforms to all criteria.
I had no idea that the sock gift has almost the same criteria as haiku poetry. This is so confusing.