Dec 22, 2010

Stressed out over the stockings.


Ok, I have to admit that I am totally stressed out of the whole stockings thing. I mentioned that I wanted to have a year of "firsts" this year, and we have decided to do the whole Christmas Stockings.
A confusing tradition, I did not know the story behind it, neither did my husband. But I am now quickly realizing how stressful the whole stocking thing can be:

1. What's a good gift for the sock (from now I shall refer to it as a sock, as I like that word)? I was confused about the content of the sock, and had to get guidance from a number of people.
2. What is an appropriate amount of items int he sock? Does it have to be filled to the brim? Should things be sticking out of it like in the pictures? what if the gifts are too short and don't want to stick out, do you need to find something long to stick out?

3. Yes, my mind really does go through this agonizing lunacy.

4. How to make sure that everyone has equal amounts o stuff in the sock? The items will be different, so how to prevent someone's sock looking empty, just because you got them items of a different width/length.

5. When are you supposed to open the sock? Before or after the main presents.

6. Does everyone get to watch or is it a private thing?

7. If you don't have a fireplace or a chimney - can you hang socks anywhere?


So, these and many other details I have been going over with these silly things, to the point of me not wanting to do the sock thing again. To be honest, I am so stressed over it, that I have started buying myself sock stuffers. Why? I'm afraid that everyone forgot sock stuffers for me, and when it comes to the time of opening them, mine will be empty, and everyone will feel sorry for me and bad that I didn't get anything in my sock. So I'm secretly stashing stuff to put in my sock. Problem is - there isn't that many of us, and everyone bound to figure out who bought what.

Ok, I know that sounds like lunacy, but I really want to do this Christmas right. This is a very confusing custom. There should be like a step-by-step instructions.

From Google, regarding the stocking: "The gift given by Santa Claus would be something to eat, a thing that makes a sound and gives a pleasant view to the eyes or gift which has a lovely fragrance." My stocking has one gift so far - a stick of salami. I guess it conforms to all criteria.
I had no idea that the sock gift has almost the same criteria as haiku poetry. This is so confusing.

4 comments:

Kim Foo Young said...

oh my goodness - so many fun questions to answer... :)


1. What's a good gift for the sock (from now I shall refer to it as a sock, as I like that word)? I was confused about the content of the sock, and had to get guidance from a number of people.

first of all i like the word sock. stockings were never my thing. a good gift for the sock might be candy, a small toy, body soap, body lotion, cologne, little things that would easily fit in a stocking errr sock. i actually put some socks in bryans stocking this year :)

2. What is an appropriate amount of items int he sock? Does it have to be filled to the brim? Should things be sticking out of it like in the pictures? what if the gifts are too short and don't want to stick out, do you need to find something long to stick out?

this can be totally up to you. i dont think it needs to be filled to the brim - especially cause then you see whats in it right away. just enough items to make it an interesting smorgasboard

3. Yes, my mind really does go through this agonizing lunacy.

sweet

4. How to make sure that everyone has equal amounts o stuff in the sock? The items will be different, so how to prevent someone's sock looking empty, just because you got them items of a different width/length.

why does everyone need equal amounts? you don't live in communist russia anymore :P

5. When are you supposed to open the sock? Before or after the main presents.

we usually open the stockings after the presents. its like "oh were done opening presents" and then "oh wait now we get to open our stockings"

6. Does everyone get to watch or is it a private thing?

usually everyone opens at same time so noone is paying attention to watch others. but you can do as you like.

7. If you don't have a fireplace or a chimney - can you hang socks anywhere?

absolutely. we hang ours on the breakfast bar - but you could hang them on glass sliders/tables/anywhere you like

Catalina said...

Sweet, thanks for the instructions.
Yes, I need to make sure everyone's got equal amount of presents, so they don't feel like they are loved less. And you know the amount of presents you get is how you measure how much you are loved.
=D

Jenn at Sweet T Makes Three said...

We lost out stockings in the move so your ahead of us!
New blog hop follower. Happy Holidays!
http://sweettmakesthree.com

coupon cougar said...

I buy little things all year to put in the stockings. I keep them in a separate box or bag, marked stocking stuffers. I try to buy things related to stuff the people getting the stockings like. We open them after the gifts and show what we got in our stocking. Sometimes trades are made. I have bought stuff for mine as no one usually remembers to do mine. I have also assigned mine to my daughter to fill mine. Kid like to do this. She got the stuff at dollar tree one year for $10.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...