Dec 11, 2010

My first wreath

Ever since we have moved to Georgia, for some reason I have been trying to do as many "firsts as I could." I feel like I have been asleep or in a coma for the past 13 years, I don't know why. Maybe because I fear that my memory is going, as I have trouble remembering things that happened last week. Maybe because I really have spent more than a decade of my life accomplishing absolutely nothing. And by nothing, I mean - nothing.

So, this year I got to carve a pumpkin and make a pumpkin pie from scratch, among many other great and not-so-great other "first time" things. I always wanted to make a wreath from scratch, and finally sat down to make one today. It took me almost 2 hours, and it is not finished. I have much more appreciation for real tree wreaths now, because let me tell you - it's not easy. But it was extremely rewarding and even relaxing experience, despite it being a pain int he butt.

This is what it started out as - just a bunch of tree branches that I started trying together with some wire.

I ended up decorating it with some of the fake dry deco branches i got for 50% of at the Hobby Lobby. I also have a bag of pine cones that I'll be spray painting and putting on the wreath with a thinner wire. But for now it looks not bad. It's a bit akward to hold, to be honest, but it's sturdy enough.


Dare to DIY Please visit the DIY party on Newly Woodwards to see more Christmasy stuff (that's actually awesome.) =)


Fantabulous Friday!

13 comments:

Mom2fur said...

You did a great job! I think the wreath looks beautiful.
Thanks for visiting me. It's funny that you used 'natural' things to play with. My best friend Betty Ann and I would sometimes pretend icicles were babies. We joked for years about those 'icicle babies'! (Yeah, we were weird--but creative!)

Catalina said...

Thanks! That's pretty cool about Icicle babies, thanks for sharing =)

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I like it! I've never made a wreath out of greenery before -- I'm impressed!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Climb2Nowhere said...

What a beautiful wreath! Love it. Happy Holidays!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

It looks lovely. I've never made a wreath either, but I gotta try it, too.

Thanks for linking up this week.

Leah said...

LIKE! this is turning out really neat. :)

Michael - Innkeeper said...

wow! looks great! i've made 'fake' wreaths before, but never one with real pine.

visiting from newlywoodwards

*claire* said...

aww i love it! real wreaths are definitely the best. i'm sure it smells great!

nic said...

hi catalina. Thank you for following. Not sure that you noticed the post you commented on is a giveaway...feel free to come back over and see how many of the possible entries you can comment for...it's my first 100 followers giveaway open to current & new followers!

Catalina said...

Thanks nic, I did see that, but I'm honestly am so terrible at following instructions and always mess it up. lol

Lauren said...

Wow! A real wreath! I have never attempted that! It looks great and I bet it smells great too! Happy Holidays!! :)

Catalina said...

Lauren, it does! Although by now the smell is much fainter. Thanks for stopping by. =)

Lucky Girl said...

Nice job on the wreath. I'm jealous of people with wreath-making skills :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...