Dec 6, 2010

Memorial Box Monday: The man

What amazing is, it seems that for every bad thing that happened in my life when I was a child, the Lord gave me back several times fold. Growing up without a father, and two not-so-great stepfathers, heartbreaking first-ever romance in high school - I swore off men forever.

True, I was also a heart-broken 18 year old girl when I made that decision, but my mind was set firm on never dating again. I even decided to find a boy, having ask me out, and break his heart on purpose. That is about when John entered my life. Back then, working at the local Dunkin' Donuts - he was a usual customer. Usually coming in late in the evening, always smiling, always pleasant. A really nice guy, but beyond that - he was just one of the customers.

I was getting ready to quit that job, as it was starting to interfere with my school. My last day there I initially wanted to not go to work - hey, its the last day. But something told me that it would only be right to finish things and I headed to work. As my last hour approached, and my mind was already far away from the little donut shop, John came in to get some coffee. Asked me how I was doing, to which I said "Great, this is my last day!".

I still recall his face. I have never seen someone being THAT upset at the prospect of never seeing me again. His face...darkened, that is the only way to put it. I could see the panic in his eyes as he immediately asked me if I would like to have coffee with him. I declined. He left me his phone number on a napkin and I stuck it in my purse. I never planned to call him. He was much older, and really not in the dating mood.
Miraculously, the napkin remained in my purse a month later, when on a whim I decided to call him. He remembered me, miraculously as well. We went out, and I had the best time of my life. He was genuine, and funny, and really really decent. No flirting, no hinting, just fun.
On the second date he told me he could marry me. A few months later he were planning to move to another state, closer to his family. And a few months after that we got married in the courthouse in Florida.

It's been 13 years now, and we are still together, and still cannot imagine our lives without one another. The Lord had given me an amazing person. Someone who loves the Lord, who is honest and kind, and supportive about anything that I have tried to do in my life. I don't think that it was an accident that something told me to go to work that day. That the napkin that could have gotten lost or ripped - stayed in tact for such a long time. God found this man for me, the one perfect man who was a perfect match, and he brought us together. And no matter what - I will always be thankful for that. Just as my husband would not be the man he is today without me (and I say that without pride, as whatever I have good in me - I have from God),and without him - I would not be the woman I am today.


3 comments:

Pam said...

Hi, Thanks for linking up with us at Making Friends Monday. I'm returning your follow from The THrifty Things and look forward to reading more of your blog.

*Katia* said...

i'm following you back!!
xx
*K*

Kat said...

I'm just now hopping over from Memorial Box Monday. My husband and I met the same type way. With just one event bringing everything together! God is just so cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...