Oct 22, 2010

Have you started looking for ways to celebrate Christmas?

I know it's only Halloween, not even, and I find myself to once again - be obsessed with planning Halloween, my costume, what parties I would be going to. To be honest I don't spend that much time planning any other holiday. Why is that?
What about Christmas? Is that not one of the most important holidays, especially for a Christian (yes, I know about the traditions of Christmas and how they supposedly come from pagan traditions, blah, blah, don't matter to me.)

Anyway, reading this post on Drawn from Water made me think. Through the most of my adult life, Christmas has been nothing but a stressful time of looking for gifts. Gifts to give to people because you kinda HAVE to, spending money you don't have. On things they probably neither like nor want. Why is that? Well, Why not spent it on someone who will appreciate it, and possibly remember your gift for the rest of their life?

Drawn from Water is starting a gathering of funds for their own and other 2 Ethiopian orphanages. They want to make treasure boxes and fill them with some sturdy toys. Would I rather spent 30$ on a crap toy from Walmart that my son will break in 2 days, or 25$ on a gift for someone's son or daughter that has nothing at all? Seems like a simple choice to me.

If you were thinking of doing something different this Christmas time, please visit Drawn from Water. Please give if you can, or at least pass the word out. These are good people who want to bring joy to the children who have very little in possessions.

There are millions of charity organizations out there. 100, 20, 10, or even 5$ makes a difference.
Another really neat place is Samaritan's Purse. We actually did that in school once, and it was a lot of fun.


If anyone has information for donations towards orphanages in Russia, please let me know.

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal."
-Matthew 6: 19-20

P.S. One thing that is easy to find - is people, causes, charities that need our help. I have found several blogs and sites that promote, facilitate or are actively adopting from Russia.

1 comment:

Kim Foo Young said...

Anna - I adore you. Thanks for getting word out about DFW. I love them. And ill get on the russian thing - but theres always the lifesong thing i told ya about :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...